Por despacho com data de hoje (21.07.2008) proferido pelos dois magistrados do Ministério Público competentes para o caso, foi determinado o arquivamento do inquérito relativo ao desaparecimento da menor Madeleine McCann, por não se terem obtido provas da prática de qualquer crime por parte dos arguidos.
II Cessa assim a condição de arguido de Robert James Queriol Evelegh Murat, Gerald Patrick McCann e Kate Marie Healy, declarando-se extintas as medidas de coacção impostas aos mesmos.
III Poderão ter lugar a reclamação hierárquica, o pedido de abertura de instrução ou a reabertura do inquérito, requeridos por quem tiver legitimidade para tal.
IV O inquérito poderá vir a ser reaberto por iniciativa do Ministério Público ou a requerimento de algum interessado se surgirem novos elementos de prova que originem diligências sérias, pertinentes e consequentes.
V Decorridos que sejam os prazos legais, o processo poderá ser consultado por qualquer pessoa que nisso revele interesse legítimo, respeitados que sejam o formalismo e limites impostos por lei.
foi determinado o arquivamento do inquérito relativo ao desaparecimento da menor Madeleine McCann, in English: "the inquiry relating to the disappearance of the minor Madeleine McCann was archived"
"the inquiry can be re-opened by the Ministério Público or the request of an interested party should new evidence come to light that would give rise to the need for serious, relevant and consequential police work."
- at 86(1), a criminal case is public, subject to restrictions imposed by (Portuguese) law;
- at 86(6), the publication of a criminal case implies the right of the general public to hear, the right of the media to publish, and the right of anyone having legal cause to obtain copies, extracts or certificates of documents pertaining to the case;
- at 88, the media are expressly permitted, within the limits of the (Portuguese) law, to publish information about the case. There is no mention in that article of any limitation prescribed at the whim of a foreign government;
- at 90(2), other persons are permitted, without prohibition, to read details of the case published through the media;
- Section 27 of the Freedom of Information Act as an exception has no bearing on this question other than as an attempt by the Government of the United Kingdom to avoid embarrassment, which is not a valid foundation for exception;
- Section 38 of the above Act as an exception has no foundation because the condition of the missing child, whatever that might be, cannot be affected by the disclosure of the existence or otherwise of a 'gag' on the British media;
- Section 31 of the above Act has no foundation due to the fact that, as demonstrated above, the principal investigation in Portugal is no longer ongoing.
It is made clear here that should there be, outside the principal case, one or more investigations into the disappearance of Madeleine Beth McCann mounted by or under any British authority alone, then this request does NOT seek to know any information about that, or those, investigations. This request is focused entirely upon material pertaining solely to the principal investigation.