21:20, Executive Chef A.E.G.F.P. heard some clamour, which made him leave toward the restaurant, a few metres away, and was then informed that a child had disappeared. At around 21:40, he left the restaurant passing through the same esplanade where moments before, he had seen the same table occupied by the three couples, empty, who had left in the meanwhile various items, principally clothing. He was told by his colleagues that the child who had disappeared was a child of one of those couples…
Ricardo Oliveira (Tapas waiter)
Jeronimo Salcedas (barman)
Time: 21:30 ↔ 22:00
Maria Jose dos Santos Rosa (Tapas BarMaid)
Svetlana Starikova Vitorino - 08.05.2007 (Kitchen assistant in Tapas Restaurant)
She normally works from 14.30 to 23.00. She remembers that on the day the child disappeared there was some confusion, with some people who left the table after ordering, one of the meals even being sent back, as someone had asked them to delay the meal for a little while.
She doe not know very well for what reason the adults rose from the table, she thinks it concerns the girl's disappearance. She did see that one of the plates was returned almost intact and they were asked to "delay" its cooking for a while, it was a grilled beef steak ordered by a man, whom she cannot identify.
At a certain moment, only an older woman remained at the table. The witness saw afterwards that they were looking for a girl, many people were helping to search.
Ces témoins ont été interrogés d'abord, brièvement, le 4 mai :
- He saw the missing Madeleine, for the last time, yesterday at 16.45h next to the restaurant;
- He did not notice if from the group of British citizens (in number 8 or 9) that yesterday dined in restaurant (which was partly made up of the parents of the missing [child]), someone left [absented themself] during such dinner;
- He saw a walkie talkie on top of the table of the group, [like] those that are used to monitor noises of children, from a distance;
MIGUEL SALCEDAS COELHO - cook
- He did not know the missing or her parents, he knew only that they were part of a group of British citizens who usually dined there;
- As he works in the kitchen, rarely did he go to the tables, so he saw nothing;
- Of the group of 8/9 British citizens who dined at the restaurant last night, as usual, of which the parents of missing were part (he didn't know them) he noticed that two individuals left the table, of the male gender.
- The first to leave was about 40/45 years old (tall, skinny, white complexion, with large [a full head of] hair of color gray) and the period of his absence was about 15 minutes, being that they had to [re-]heat his food, which had cooled;
- The second to leave (about 40/45 years of age, having the physical characteristics of the first, but having less bulky hair) did so for about 30 minutes, and that shortly after he returned, all left the table, except for an elderly person, who told him that a child had disappeared, the daughter of a member of the group, due to which he thought that the second person to leave could have been the father of the child;
- Of the times in which this group had dined in that bar it is [was] often [for] someone from the group to go to check at the apartments the state of the children (their offspring) who were sleeping there.
JOELSON FABIO SOARES SANTOS L?IO - was contacted in another restaurant of the [Mark Warner] group, The Millenium) - pantry boy
- As he works in the pantry, he never goes to the area where are the tables, so he saw nothing;
- He didn't know the missing or her parents;
he remained in service (15:30 and 23:30.
- Of the group of 8/9 British citizens who dined at that restaurant yesterday, like they usually did, which was partly made up of the parents of the missing (he did not know them) he noticed that absent from the table, for about 15 minutes, [was] a man (tall, little more than thirty years of age, normal physical stature, white complexion and hair color light brown);
- It was usual [for] someone of that group, to leave to go to the apartments to check the children (children of the group members) who slept there;
- At the table, he always noticed [saw] the existence [presence] of an intercom;