À propos du jugement sur le référé
Notes de Kate MC sur le site officiel 15.01.2010
We are currently in Lisbon for the trial to determine whether the injunction against Mr Amaral's book and DVD should remain in place. This trial is about whether the book is a true reflection of the official judicial process into Madeleine's disappearance and whether its contents damage the ongoing search for Madeleine, her siblings and our reputations.
Mr Amaral's book and DVD contains some information from the PJ files but there is a lot in the files which is not in Mr Amaral's book. Hence it is highly selective and therefore biased. (1) Mr Amaral's book contains his opinions rather than fact. His opinions differ from the findings in the PJ file. The conclusions of the latter are: 1.there is no evidence that Madeleine is dead and 2. there is no evidence that Gerry or I are involved in Madeleine's disappearance. (2) This is very different to the theories and conclusions of Mr Amaral. It is logical and common sense that spreading these theories as Mr Amaral did (and continues todo) damages the search to find our little girl. If the general public (and the Portuguese people in particular) are bombarded day in and day out with such theories, this will eventually 'colour' their understanding and judgement -lies and inaccuracies become fact. If people subsequently believe that Madeleine is dead and that we are involved in her disappearance then they will not look for Madeleine, will not consider any suspicions about others which they may have and will not come forward with information. We consider this highly detrimental to the search for Madeleine. (3)
There are few points which have been raised in the last few days which I would like to address specifically:
Abduction theory : For us, there is only the abduction theory possible because we were not involved in Madeleine's disappearance and we know Madeleine did not wander off by herself. It is obvious and right that the police should consider other theories initially. (4) Tant que l'affaire n'est pas résolue, la police ne peut éliminer aucune piste sans preuve à l'appui. Or il n'y a pas d'élément prouvant que les MC ne sont pas impliqués.
The window: I described to the police officers exactly what I found that night, as it was and is highly relevant and I knew that every little detail could be helpful in finding my daughter which is our only aim. The window which is a ground floor window was completely open and is large enough for a person to easily climb through it. Whether it had been opened for this purpose remains unknown. It could of course have been opened by the perpetrator when inside the apartment as a potential escape route or left open as a 'red herring' (5)
The dogs : We realise that the behaviour of the dogs was the turning point in the investigation for the PJ. The use of dogs has proved to be problematic and unreliable in previous cases (please refer to the Jersey 'Haut de La Garenne' case and other research published about their use and reliability). It is vital to note that alerts by such dogs are classified as intelligence rather than evidence, as police officers familiar with their use will verify. These alerts must be supported by forensics in order to be used as evidence. The results of the forensic examinations did not identify any blood or Madeleine's DNA. To suggest or use the dogs' reactions as evidence is simply wrong and abusive. (6)
The proposed reconstruction : The suggestion of a reconstruction of our movements and other key witnesses at the crime scene and/or surrounding area in the early days following Madeleine's abduction was declined by the PJ as 'not usual' for Portugal. (7) When the PJ finally requested a reconstruction to take place in 2008, Gerry and I were still arguidos and as such would have attended for a reconstruction. Some key witnesses (including some of our friends)declined to attend the planned reconstruction as they were not convinced of the aims and usefulness of it. In particular, as the reconstruction was not to be shown to the media (and hence the general public), they did not feel it would help to find Madeleine. Had the intention been to show it to the general public, it may have 'jogged' memories and encouraged people to come forward with information. It should be added that other key witnesses were not invited to attend. (8)
(1) Il est évident qu'un livre de 300 pages à propos d'une enquête comportant dix mille pages doit être sélectif. De là à être biaisé, c'est une autre affaire et il est regrettable que Kate MC n'apporte pas d'exemple à l'appui d'une affirmation qui frise la diffamation.
(6) Ce qui est abusif, c'est de décréter que les chiens n'ont prouvé qu'une chose, c'est qu'ils ne sont pas fiables, en évoquant une affaire non encore résolue et sans prendre la peine de citer les nombreux cas où les chiens ont prouvé précisément le contraire. Kate MC met singulièrement en question, indirectement, l'honnêteté de Mark Harrison. Si les chiens n'étaient pas fiables (et Eddie et Keela étaient d'excellents chiens), le grand spécialiste des personnes disparues aurait-il berné la PJ pour qui la venue de ces chiens constitua une dépense conséquente ? Du reste personne n'a dit que les alertes des chiens étaient des preuves, MH indiqua très clairement que les alertes n'étaient que des renseignements susceptibles de réorienter l'enquête. Keela trouva du sang en quantité si infime que le laboratoire conclut qu'il ne provenait probablement pas de MMC. Mais Eddie capta une odeur de cadavre (et non de sang) et on peut mourir sans saigner.
(7) Si une "reconstruction" fut suggérée et rejetée, le motif (poli) "pas habituel" est probable. Les polices des pays à système inquisitoire ne pratiquement pas la "reconstruction", mais la reconstitution avec les protagonistes et non avec des acteurs et sans les médias.
transcrit par Nigel Moore
Clarence Mitchell : Good morning, Jenna, good to be with you.
JW : So, as we mentioned, this does mark... this week will mark the 1,000 date anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance. Can you tell us how her parents are holding up?
CM : Kate and Gerry have good and bad days, as you would well expect given that their daughter is still not home, as you say, nearly a thousand days on. They draw greatest strength from when they sense there is momentum in the search, and in the wider campaign to keep awareness of Madeleine high in the public eye, and so, on Wednesday, to mark a thousand days exactly they're going to be holding a fund raising event in London and they'll be surrounded by their long term friends and supporters, so they will draw great strength from that. But it is very difficult and they do find any, errr... anniversary or occasion like this to be very difficult.
(1) Nulle pression n'a été nécessaire pour décider le Ministère public de mettre le dossier MC à la disposition de tiers intéressés. Imaginant que l'afflux serait à la mesure du gigantesque intérêt médiatique, le MP décida de publier les PJFiles sur DVD. Certes les MC n'ont guère été ravis que le public ait connaissance d'un dossier dont, comme victimes, ils se sentaient les détenteurs prioritaires.
(2) Comment sait-il ce que pratiquement toute la planète aimerait, en vain, savoir ?
Tom Lowe (voice over): The parents of Madeleine McCann say they're "trying to move forward", as another milestone passes since their daughter's disappearance. It's now a thousand days since Madeleine vanished from her family's holiday apartment in the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz.